Sunday, August 24, 2014

August Days with Mali and Chi...

One of the fun things about having dogs is that you have to go outside and see the night sky.  I've seen comets and sunrises that I would have missed inside if it wasn't for my buddies.  August 10, 2014, I got to see the "Super Moon" around midnight
and then early the next morning, I watched the "Super Moon" set in the trees over my neighbor's house
(it was setting quickly, so             right          there           |||   is the moon).  Thanks, Mali!

August 11, 2014

As we headed to the car for our daily walk, into the driveway turned my son, home from work early.  So all of us headed to the park...today going from Ray's Meadow to the large meadow just before the Beltway Bridge and the Mormon Temple and back.  2.6 miles round trip - shorter than what my son normally does but a good stretch for me.  There were a lot of people out because the weather was good.
Resting a bit in the shade at the half-way point in the walk after having run a bit along the brush edges.

August 12, 2014 - The Flood

It started as a grey day...

The rains started ... I spotted her from the back door as the dogs went out a little after 11 in the morning.
Roughly 4 hours after the first photo, she is still waiting for the rains to subside.  She is now resting next to the "river" running downhill into our yard.  I even caught her with her eyes closed at one point.
Notice the "river" running down the hill into our yard.
About another half an hour, and she and the two fawns have come out and started their daily move through the neighborhood.   The rains had stopped and I took the deer moving on a good sign, so I gathered Mali and Chi for our daily walk.  I had heard the weather reports of flash flooding, but I wasn't prepared for what I was about to see.
Rock Creek had flooded...not a little over the banks, but over a wide expanse of area!
We had walked this area just the day before....
 This foot bridge is near where Mali and Chi had rested during our walk the day before.
There was no water on the roadway bridge, but Rock Creek was lapping at its underside!
I took these after our walk, and the water had already started receding.  Above is where I walked the next day... 
 This is Ray's Meadow - looking where we had walked the day before.
Rock Creek, the source of the flood waters, is beyond the far trees.  Those are football/soccer fields in the middle.
 
 
I had already decided to walk in my favorite "bad weather" (rain, snow) walking spot - the "circle park" in Kensington - where the path is a little elevated and there are no large trees overhanging (that could fall or drop branches).
 Hard to believe it had rained that much and that flooding was a short distance away...
 
Mali looks so weird with the sunlight filtered through the trees!

August 14, 2014 - After the waters go down...

 As we were walking a couple of days later, I was aware that there were fish actually swimming in the "run-off culvert" that we go over after parking the car...I figure they got caught in the flooding.
 You can also see the shadows created by what I have always called, "water spiders" or "water striders" in the lower right corner.
 
I hope it rains enough for them to move on down to the creek.

August 20, 2014 - 

We had to do a follow-up visit at the vets...both my son and I had taken the day off...the weather was beautiful and the vets visit went well.  Chi is doing fine again and Mali has lost 2 pounds in 2 weeks!  So we headed down the road with no real destination in mind...
We crossed the Solomon's Island Bridge....
My son saw a sign and we headed to Greenwell State Park.

Greenwell State Park, Hollywood, Maryland

After getting back home, I learned on the Internet that Greenwell State Park is comprised of 596 acres and contains 10 miles of marked trails for hiking, horse back riding and cycling.  What I learned there was it is a wonderful place for a picnic and a lazy afternoon.
Entrance driveway, with the Rosedale Manor House straight ahead.
 I don't know the story behind this colorful heron...I am glad that the heron is facing the water.
 The first things we saw were the various horses grazing in numerous fenced fields.
 My son stretches the dogs a bit and we head down the nearest trail.
This is what I saw when I started down the crest of the hill - the Patuxent River on a glorious day!
Exploring along the water's edge...
 Chi the Magnificent!
 
Crossing the path
 Mali scoots anxiously past the turtle. The turtle is working to get off of the trail, and Chi is cautious but checks out this new creature.  
Chi is still watching the turtle, lower right corner, as we continue down the trail.
Chi is just so curious about this turtle creature.  We are so proud of him!  He is so gentle, I know the turtle has nothing to worry about.
  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 The clouds on the ride home....
Mali is just SO SMART!  The sun was coming through the window on her side of the car on the ride home.  The next thing we knew, there she was!  Peeking up at us on the floor of the back seat.  She had scooted under the car seat hammock cover, and was enjoying the air conditioning, and watching us!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment